Integrated pest management (IPM) involves collecting information about a pest and crop to ensure that you administer the most economical, effective, and environmentally and socially sound pest management decision. IPM integrates as many suitable pest management options as possible.
Components of IPM
- Knowledge of pest (identification, biology, life cycle)
- Monitoring for pests and injury, using degree days and monitoring calenders
- Deciding whether to treat based on thresholds
- Implementing a set of control tactics
- Record-keeping (scouting results, treatments applied, treatment results)